Highfields Amateur Radio Club
Welsh Onion Cake.
| PREP TIME || 10 Min
| COOK TIME || 1hr30 Min plus
| READY IN || 1hr40 Min plus
| SERVES || 4 - 6
- 2lb peeled and finely sliced potatoes
- 4oz butter
- 1lb peeled and finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 4oz Caerphilly Cheese (Opitonal, depending on what you serve it with)
- Well grease an oven proof dish and on the bottom lay a thick layer of potato, dot with butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Add a layer of onion, dot butter, season and sprinkle some thyme over this layer.
- Repeat this until the dish is full, or the potato and onion is used up, you need to end with a layer of potato.
- Sprinkle the top layer with the cheese (if required).
- Cover with a lid or foil and bake in a preheated oven 350 F / 180 C / Gas mark 4 for about one and a half hours, removing the lid for the last half hour. The variety of potato makes it impossible to give a precise cooking time: very floury ones can cook quickly and waxy ones take longer.
Use more cheese and layer it in between the onion and potato.
Tasty Serving Suggestion:
Prepare as above to number 3 but in a deeper dish, the top layer of pototo dotted with more butter.
Place a small, young and not too fat joint of lamb on top. The juices will run down into the onion cake giving an excellent flavour. Also the meat will be succulent and free of fat.
Serve with a green salad or roasted vegetables.